Verbs : Introduction (Definition) - English Grammar
Select Your Subject: CBSE English Medium
Verbs: Verbs are words which are used to describe an action, state and occurrence which form the main part of a sentence.
Example: Learn, Play, Run, Walk, Hear, Be, Watch, Give, Take and Wait etc.
We see these verbs in sentence as examples:
1. I learn music in the evening. (Action)
2. Sunita play hockey in the ground. (Action)
3. She does not run fast. (Negative action)
4. He is the best boy. (State of being)
5. They walk from here to there. (Condition of action)
Basic Forms of Verbs:
There are following six basic form of verbs:
1. Main form of Verb (1st Form): Main form of verb is also a basic form of verb which is used as 1st form and works as main verb.
(i) He wastes his time.
2. Infinitive form of verb: Infinitives are the form of verb which usually preceded by "to" (e.g to go, to play, to have, to keep, to watch etc.). Infinitive verbs neither recognise the action of subject nor change it's form according to tense. it is always static.
(i) Madan likes to play football.
(ii) Deepak tried to win the match.
(iii) Mehak loves to eat fast food.
3. Past form of verb (2nd Form): Past form of verb shows the past activity in simple past tense.
(i) They sold their car yesterday.
(ii) I kept my promise.
(iii) Radha danced very well.
4. Present participle form of verb: Present participles are verbs which show the continuation in action but does not recognise the tenses. It is formed to join "ing" as suffix in the main verb.
(i) I saw a flying bird.
(ii) He threw a ball picking up from the ground.
(iii) Komal went to office listening the music in the way.
5. Past participle form of verb (3rd Form): Past participle verbs show the perfection of work.
(i) He has got his prize.
(ii) India has won the match.
(iii) I have completed my work.
6. Gerund: Gerunds are another form of verb which is formed to use "ing" as suffux in the 1st form of verb. It is used as noun as subject or object.
(i) Smoking is injurious for health.
(ii) Walking is a good exercise.
(iii) She stopped dancing.
(iv) I left drinking.