NCERT Books Solutions for Class 9 Beehive (English) english Medium Chapter 1. The Fun They Had
Select Your Subject: CBSE English Medium
Chapter 1. The Fun They Had
Chapter 1. The fun they had
“Today Tommy found a real book!”
It was a very old book. Margie’s grandfather once said that when he was a little boy his grandfather told him that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper.
- The old book was found by ………….
- Margie was surprised to see the book because ……….
- Pick out a word from the following which means ‘small’:
- all the stories were printed on paper
It was a very old book. Margie’s grandfather once said that when he was a little boy his grandfather told him that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages, which were yellow and crinkly, and it was awfully funny to read words that stood still instead of moving the way they were supposed to-on a screen.
- Why the pages of the book were yellow ?
- Did Margie see the book for the first time ?
- Trace a word from the passage that means ‘with many folds or lines’.
- The pages of the book were yellow because the book was quite old.
- Yes, Margie saw the book for the first time.
Margie went into the schoolroom. It was right next to her bedroom and the mechanical teacher was on and waiting for her. It was always on at the same time every day except Saturday and Sunday because her mother said little girls learned better if they learned at regular hours.
- Where was Margie’s schoolroom ?
- Explain ‘mechanical teacher was on’.
- Write the opposite of ‘regular’.
- Margie’s school room was next to her bedroom.
- Computer was on.
“Because it’s not our kind of school, stupid. This is the old kind of school that they had hundreds and hundreds of years ago.” He added loftily.
- Who is ‘he’ in the above lines ?
- “Our kind of school.” What kind of school they have ?
- Trace the word from the extract that means “in a superior way”.
- ‘He’ in the above lines is Tommy.
- They have future classrooms with mechanical teachers.
Tommy looked at her with very superior eyes. “Because it’s not our kind of school, stupid. This is the old kind of school that they had hundreds and hundreds of years ago.” He added loftily.
- Why did Tommy call Margie stupid ?
- What does ‘they’ here refer to ?
- Find the word which means “in a superior way”.
- Tommy called Margie stupid because she was too ignorant.
- ‘They’ here refers to the students of centuries ago.
Margie did so with a sigh. She was thinking about the old schools they had when her grandfather’s grandfather was a little boy. All the kids from the whole neighbourhoods came, laughing and shouting in the schoolyard, sitting together in the schoolroom going home together at the end of the day. They learned the same things, so that they could help one another with the home work and talk about it.
- Which school is Margie thinking about in the above lines ?
- What is the advantage of those old schools ?
- Which word in the passage means “breathing out deeply” ?
- Margie is thinking about the school of her grandfather’s grandfather when he was a little boy.
- The advantage of the old school was that everyone used to learn the same thing and could help each other in the homework. The children could go and come together also.