CBSE Notes for Class 10 Science english Medium 1. Chemical Reactions and Equations
Select Your Subject: CBSE English Medium
1. Chemical Reactions and Equations
The theoretical and experimental study of nature, composition, preparation, isolation, properties and uses of matter is known as Chemistry.
Chemical Reaction: Such a process in which there produces substances of new property is known as chemical reaction. Ex.
2H2 + O2 → 2H2O
(Here H2 and O2 take part in chemical reaction and produce a product of new property i.e. H2O.)
In other hand, we can also say that Chemical changes are also known as chemical reaction. There are many chemical changes which occur around us.
- Iron rod comes in contact of moisture and gets rusted.
- Grapes get fermented.
- Food is cooked.
- Food gets digested in our body.
- We respire.
Determination of Chemical Reaction:
We should have a criteria to determine the chemical reaction has taken place.
- change in state
- change in colour
- evolution of a gas
- Change in temperature.
Above four points are identifications of chemical reaction which indicate that the reaction has taken place.
when a magnesium ribbon is burnt in oxygen, it gets converted to magnesium oxide. This is the statement form of a chemical reaction but it can be write as a following manners
Magnesium + Oxygen → magnesium oxide
To write the equation in such manner is called as word equation.
Another method to write chemical reaction;
Mg + O2 → MgO
This is symbolic form to write chemical equations.
There are two part of a chemical reaction
- Reactants: The substances that undergo chemical change in the reaction are the reactants. Example from above equation. Mg and O are reactants.
- Procducts: The new substance, formed during the reaction, is the product. Ex. MgO is product, which newer substance produced in reaction.